Monday, February 25, 2013

It Came From Del Rio: Dodd's Route to Uvalde

"The only reason I was thinking so much about getting caught was that the clients didn't just want me to lob the stuff across the river or magnet it to the tail of some private plane or any of that. Instead of meeting up with me in Del Rio, like sane people, they were insisting that I meet at some warehouse in Uvalde. It added nearly eighty miles to my trip. And they didn't want to risk motor transportation. Meaning I was going to have to stick to the ridgelines, find water where I could [...] My objection was that eighty miles for them, in a car all registered and inspected and insured and driven the speed limit by somebody with a clean record and white skin, it was a three-hour round-trip. As opposed to a hundred and fifty for me." (28)

I made a little map of Dodd's trip, which helped me visualize where he was in Mexico and Texas, and why the trip to Uvalde was so inconvenient:
Ciudad Acuna to Del Rio-- about a five mile walk into downtown Del Rio

Ciudad Acuna to Uvalde is, like Dodd says, about 72 miles






Google's walking directions.
And here's a shot of where exactly Dodd is, relative to Mexico and Texas- you'll see he's just east of Big Bend National Park, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

No comments:

Post a Comment